ACCA Zimbabwe is one of the constituent bodies of the Public Accountants and Auditors Board (PAAB). The PAAB is a statutory body established in 1996, to oversee the regulation of the profession and maintain a register of persons entitled to work or practise as public accountants or public auditors in Zimbabwe.
Accounting Practising Rights In Zimbabwe Non residents are required to have work permits and be members in good standing of one of the constituent bodies.
Public Accountants and Auditors Board PAAB
Accountants may not register as Public Accountants or Auditors unless they are members of a constituent body of the Zimbabwean Public Accountants and Auditors Board. The constituent bodies are:
- the Zimbabwe Branch of the Chartered Association of Certified (ACCA) Accountants,
- the Zimbabwe Branch of the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants, (CIMA)
- the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Zimbabwe, (ICAZ)
- the Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators of Zimbabwe, (CISA)
- the Zimbabwe Institute of Public Finance and Administration (ZIPFA)
Auditing Services in Zimbabwe
The Companies Act and other Acts dealing with the audit of business enterprises require that the auditor be a Registered Public Auditor. Foreign auditors wishing to practise in Zimbabwe are required to:
- be a member of a constituent body of the Zimbabwean Public Accountants and Auditors Board; and
- meet all requirements of that constituent body (e.g. a practising certificate); and
- be registered as an auditor with the Public Accountants and Auditors Board; and
- hold a Public Accountants and Auditors Board practising certificate as an auditor.
Only members in good standing of ACCA and ICAZ register as auditors. The Public Accountants and Auditors Act and the Acts establishing the constituent bodies provide penalties for anyone holding himself out as a member of a constituent body or as a Registered Public Auditor. "Holding oneself out as an auditor" includes the circulation within Zimbabwe of an audit report on a Zimbabwean business entity.