IHT and trusts
- Gifts and Inheritance Tax
- [15/10/2013] Help clients understand the types of transfers which can be made under inheritance tax legislation.
- Inheritance Tax - Scotland
- [18/09/2013] HMRC had produced a new suite of forms for dealing with Inheritance Tax on Scottish estates.
- Inheritance tax – gift schemes
- [16/09/2013] Discounted gift schemes can exist where a gift or gifts are made by an individual whose estate is likely to face an IHT charge and where the gift or gifts are structured to ensure that the value of the gift is less than the value of the assets being removed from the individual’s estate. The most common schemes are insurance product based.
- HMRC Consultations
- [21/06/2013] Details of current HMRC consultations.
- Inheritance Tax and Quoted Securities
- [30/05/2013] The list of recognised stock exchanges for post-death IHT revaluations has been updated.
- General anti-abuse rule
- [09/05/2013] After much speculation a general anti-avoidance rule – the General Anti-Abuse Rule (GAAR) – has emerged within the Finance Bill 2013.
- Alternative dispute resolution (ADR) becomes permanent
- [22/04/2013] |ACCA| HMRC Alternative dispute resolution services becomes permanent from 2013/14.
- Draft Finance Bill 2013 - At a glance
- [15/02/2013] A summary of the key parts of the Finance Bill 2013.
- Changes to the taxation of UK property
- [08/03/2013] A round-up of recent changes to the taxation of UK property.
- HMRC v Pawson
- [19/02/13] HMRC v Pawson: no business relief on furnished holiday letting
- IHT - Situs of debts
- [18/02/2013] HMRC has updated its Inheritance Tax Manualregarding situs of debts.
- Reflecting on the gift with reservation of benefit rules
- [28/01/2013] How to assess reservation of benefit rules and their likely impact on clients.
- HMRC Issue IHT Toolkit
- [22/10/2012] HMRC issue new IHT toolkit.
- An important tax case regarding penalties
- [20/09/2012] The First Tier Tribunal overturns a penalty for a "careless error" where the accountant was found to be to blame.
- HMRC recoups £26m missing inheritance tax using complex PC systems
- [17/09/2012] HMRC recovers £26m in missing IHT and reveals details of its "Connect" IT system.
- Estate planning, IHT and probate
- [29/06/2012] A look at areas where probate laws in Scotland differ from those which apply in England and Wales.
- HMRC Toolkits
- [26/04/2012] HMRC Toolkits focus on areas which cause difficulty in practice and offer protection against penalties.
- HMRC Clearances and Approvals
- [01/12/2011] Details of business and non-business clearance procedures.
- Employee Benefit Trusts and IHT
- [25/05/2011] HMRC brief 18/11 sets out their view on inheritance and trust tax issues associated with Employee Benefit Trusts.
- HMRC – Changes in Practices Relating to Trusts and Estates
- [30/05/10] - HMRC – Changes in Practices Relating to Trusts and Estates
- Non-resident trustees
- [22/01/09] - Non-resident trustees - Capital Gains Tax rebasing election.
- [04/11/09] - Bradford & Bingley shareholdings of 1,000 or less may be included in the IHT account at a nil value.
- [04/11/09] - The EU has adopted a regulation to define European law on cross-border succession and wills, despite UK opposition.
- Inheritance tax changes
- Changes to the trust regime were announced in the Finance Act 2006 and took effect from 6 April 2008.
- Inheritance tax
- The House of Lords has approached the Treasury to request new legislation to protect siblings living together for many years in light of the European Courts of Justice decision in the case of Burden & Anr v UK.