Joining ACCA in Australia or New Zealand
Regardless of where in the world you initially register to become an ACCA student, undertake your examinations, gain your practical experience and subsequently apply for full membership. ACCA will be there to offer you support and guidance at a local level, where ever you are in the world now, or plan to be in the future.
In Australia, ACCA Australia & New Zealand has its headquarters in Sydney, with support for New Zealand based students out of Auckland.
The Australian National Office is available to answer enquires from prospective and existing students by email, fax or post.
Brochures describing the syllabus, examinations and other qualifying requirements are also available at ACCA’s global website.
Initial student registration is undertaken in Glasgow, Scotland, so registration forms and supporting documentation must be sent directly to the ACCA Student Department in Glasgow, not to the ACCA Australia & New Zealand Centre in Sydney. Examination applications are also processed in Glasgow.
You can register to become an ACCA student online or request a paper based registration pack from the Australian centre by emailing us.
Exemptions for Australian or New Zealand degrees
Holders of recognised Australian or New Zealand Bachelor degrees may be eligible for exemption from part or all nine papers from the Fundamental level of the ACCA Qualification. There are no exemptions offered for the Professional level.
Exemptions are only ever confirmed at the point of registration when a full academic transcript is viewed by the ACCA Admissions Department.
Visit ACCA’s exemption enquiry database to view details on the exemptions offered to degrees and universities locally and globally.
If you hold, or are studying for, a bachelor / post graduate qualification with an Australian or New Zealand university or TAFE NSW diploma / advanced diploma and your qualification does not appear on the exemptions enquiry database, or the exemptions listed are out of date, you may contact the Australia National Office for advice on the exemptions you may be awarded.
Undertaking ACCA examinations in Australia and New Zealand
Examinations are held in June and December each year on the same day worldwide, regardless of where you are.
The commencement time for exams in:
- New Zealand and the eastern states of Australia (Adelaide, Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane) is 5pm local time finishing at 8pm
- Perth, Western Australia, is 3pm local time finishing at 6pm.
Regular exam centres
There are regular examination centres in Sydney and Melbourne, Australia and Auckland, New Zealand.
Special exam centres
It is possible to arrange paper-based exams at centres other than regular centres. These are referred to as special centres. Requests for special centres should be sent in writing, together with your exam entry form, to ACCA's Examinations Department by:
- 15 March for June exams
- 15 September for December exams.
It is only possible for ACCA to arrange special centres if we are satisfied that the same standards of facilities and invigilation that exist at our regular centres will be available.
For more information on special examination centres visit here.
Students in Australia currently sit ACCA exams in special examination centres in Adelaide, Brisbane, and Perth, and in New Zealand in Wellington.
Studying for ACCA in Australia & New Zealand
Approved Learning Partners
Study options within Australia and New Zealand are limited to distance learning only at this time.
ACCA’s global publishers Kaplan and BPP both offer comprehensive learning materials and online learning options to suit your learning needs and style.
Kaplan Publishing: www.kaplanpublishing.co.uk
Kaplan textbooks and exam kits can be ordered via Australia, for Kaplan Business School. Visit here for more information and to download the faxable order form.
BPP Learning Media: www.bpp.com/learningmedia
ACCA Online Support
ACCA’s global website offers a wealth of support material to assist you with preparing for your exams. The following is only a small example of the extensive resources available.
For resources specific to each ACCA Qualification paper, visit here to prepare yourself to achieve examination success. Resources include:
- Syllabus and study guides: to help you plan your study and to provide detailed information on what could be assessed in any examination session
- Past papers: to prepare you for the types of questions you might face so that you can practise sitting an ACCA examination paper
- Examiner reports: learn more about how the examiners felt students approached previous examinations; where they did well and where and how they could have performed better
- Technical articles: on key examinable topics to support your study
- Reading lists: additional sources of information to broaden the scope of your learning.
Read 'Reading and planning time' and how to use this time to your advantage, before you start writing your exam paper on exam day.
At a local level, ACCA Australia & New Zealand provides the following support offerings.
- new student orientation briefings
- ACCA examination techniques seminars – face-to-face and via webinar
- specific ACCA examination paper webinars
- study groups – if there is not a study group in your region and you wish to set one up, please email us.
- invitation to local ACCA member CPD and social events
- local student newsletter alerts with timely information and advice for preparing for examinations
- social events
- Australia and New Zealand student message and advice board. ACCA Discuss, found on ACCA’s global website, offers a convenient way to talk with local students online about the issues that matter most to you.
You will receive notification of locally hosted and offered events through regular newsletters alerts and invitations. Should you wish to find out more about these local offerings, contact the Australian National Office for more information.