ACCA Malaysia Sustainability Reporting Awards 2009
UEM Environment Sdn Bhd is overall winner
14 Sep 2009
UEM Environment Sdn Bhd was the overall winner at the recent ACCA Malaysia Sustainability Reporting Awards (ACCA MaSRA), which identified and highlighted innovative attempts by companies in Malaysia to communicate corporate sustainability performance and to reward transparency.
Previously known as the ACCA Malaysia Environmental and Social Reporting Awards, the ACCA MaSRA 2009 programme saw an increase in the quality of sustainability reporting, with a growing number of organisations submitting standalone reports that complied with global standards, such as the GRI. There were a total of 56 entries.
'By enlarging the awards to embrace sustainability, ACCA hopes to encourage corporate Malaysia to examine and account for their "big picture" consequences on society, economy and environment,' said YBhg Datuk Mohd Nasir Ahmad, president of ACCA Malaysia's Advisory Committee.
'By focusing on sustainability reporting, organisations will be able to differentiate themselves from other reporters and this will give them the edge to compete in the global arena. ACCA has long advocated the importance of non-financial disclosure and the business benefits they bring.'
He added that it was encouraging to see how many previous entrants to the programme had continued to report their sustainability impacts during the current economic climate.
The following organisations were also praised for high-quality corporate sustainability performance reporting:
- Malaysian Resources Corporation Berhad - winner, Environmental Performance Report
- Nestle (Malaysia) Berhad - winner, Social Performance Report
- Puncak Niaga Holdings Berhad - winner, Integrated Reporting in an Annual Report
- Kulim (Malaysia) Berhad (Plantation Division) - winner, Best First Time Reporter
- Kulim (Malaysia) Berhad (Plantation Division) - commendation, Reporting on Strategy and Governance
- Astro All Asia Networks plc – commendation, Reporting on Stakeholder Engagement and Inclusion
- British American Tobacco (Malaysia) Berhad - special mention, assurance approach
- UEM Environment Sdn Bhd - special mention, assurance approach
- Malaysian Resources Corporation Berhad - special mention, assurance approach
The MaSRA 2009 awards are endorsed by AccountAbility, Bursa Malaysia Berhad, the Business Council of Sustainable Development in Malaysia (BCSDM) and the Department of Environment (DOE) and supported by CorporateRegister.com