ACCA Malaysia hosts fourth CFO Summit
Event considers key role of CFO in global downturn
08 Jul 2009
'CFOs to the rescue' was the theme of ACCA Malaysia's CFO Summit 2009, which took place on 6-7 July at the Sheraton Imperial, Kuala Lumpur.
The summit, which was organised in association with the Asian Strategy Leadership Institute, featured a welcome speech by Datuk Modh Nasir Ahmad, president of ACCA Malaysia's Advisory Committee, in which he considered the increasing importance of CFOs as key players in creating long-term value and guardians of financial performance in the current financial climate.
'Global economic conditions continue to dominate business life,' he said. 'They are at the top of the world's political agenda, and updates and debates on economic issues are almost constantly at the centre of media attention. However, what is clear and undeniable is that organisations are increasingly relying on their CFOs and accountants to help them navigate through choppy economic waters.'
Among the highlights at the summit were forums and discussions on 'Priorities for business in the current economic condition - assessing the focus for finance' and 'Access to finance - getting the best in the current economic climate', with speeches and contributions from key commentators, including:
- YB Dato' Chor Chee Heung, Malaysia Deputy Minister of Finance
- Dato' Dr Abdul Halim Harun, chief executive officer, UMW Holdings Berhad
- Ms Irene M Dorner, deputy chairman and chief executive officer, HSBC Bank Malaysia Berhad
- Dr S Susela Devi, executive director, Malaysia Accounting Standards Board
- Dr Mahani Zainal Abidin, director-general, ISIS Malaysia, and
- En Suhaimi Sulaiman, executive producer and anchor, Astro Awani.
The event was sponsored by Oracle, SAP and Direct Access.