ACCA-Ceres US Sustainability Reporting Awards
GE Corporation wins best report
22 Apr 2009
GE Corporation has won the top accolade in the 2008 ACCA North America-Ceres Sustainability Awards, which identifies and highlights innovative attempts by companies in the US and Canada to communicate corporate sustainability performance and to reward transparency.
The other winners recognised at the ceremony in San Francisco are:
- Seventh Generation, Burlington, Vermont - Best SME Report
- Ball Corporation, Broomfield, Colorado - Best First Time Report (co-winner)
- Symantec, Cupertino, California - Best First Time Report (co-winner)
- Vancouver Organizing Committee for the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games (VANOC) - Commendation for Innovative Reporting
- Dell Inc., Austin, Texas - Commendation for Emerging Issues Reporting
In applauding the winners, Paul Costello, head of ACCA Canada and US, said: 'Recognition of the importance and benefits of sustainability reporting continue to increase and the leadership of these companies provide an example for others to emulate.'
Mindy Lubber, Ceres president, added: 'Transparent and honest disclosure that illustrates the full costs of environmental and social impacts and their integration into business strategies will level the playing field and provide investors with the information they need to reward, or penalise, companies on their sustainability performance. The awards set an example for companies to follow as sustainability reporting becomes a bigger priority for shareholders and other stakeholders.'
There were a total of 97 nominations in this year's awards programme, with the winners being selected from a shortlist of 19 entries.